Elliot Fitzgerald’s practice focuses on commercial litigation and employment law. He has acted as lead trial attorney in a number of commercial disputes in Virginia circuit and general district courts.
In addition, Elliot represents employers in state and federal court, as well as in administrative proceedings before the EEOC and the VEC, and in investigations by the Department of Labor and Virginia Attorney General’s Office. He also advises clients on non-litigation employment matters, such as reviews of restrictive covenants and non-compete agreements, employee separations, leave requests, and formulation of employment policies.
Given the complexity of information systems, Elliot also assists clients with managing the eDiscovery process, ensuring that they comply with best practices in a cost efficient way.
Elliot served as a law clerk to the Hon. William D. Hamblen, Prince William County Circuit Court.
- George Mason University School of Law, Arlington, Virginia (J.D., cum laude, 2008) Law Journal: Federal Circuit Bar Journal, Articles Editor
- University of Florida, Gainsville, FL (B.S. Business Administration, Economics, with high honors, 2005)
- University of Florida, Gainsville, FL (B.A., History, minor in Philosophy)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- Hon. William D. Hamblen, Prince William County Circuit Court, 2008-2009
- Negotiated settlements in over 50 indemnification actions in mortgage loan lawsuits, including several pending in state and federal court
- Represented a financial institution in a federal breach of contract case
- Led settlement conference in a $1.5 million contract dispute between two government contractors in federal court
- Represented a construction industry client on a property damage claim
- Represented commercial property owners, including owners of shopping centers, on a wide variety of claims
- Represented construction contractors on U.S. Federal government claims
- Mediated a settlement for an employee in an EEOC disability discrimination case
- Represented an employer in a multi-store Department of Labor wage and hour investigation
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia Bar Association, Member
- Richmond Bar Association, Member
- Greater Richmond Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Jewish Law Students Association, 2008, President
- Hiring and Firing Best Practices, July 2015 presentation to the Virginia Association of Roofing Professionals 48th Annual Summer Conference.
- NBI's Annual Seminar, "Human Resource Law From Start to Finish," 2014 and 2015
- The Economic Substance Doctrine, Rules, and Standards: United States v. Coltec Industries and Its Aftermath, 17 Fed. Cir. B.J. 529, 2008
© 2018 by Spotts Fain PC. All rights reserved