James Olmsted works closely with secured and unsecured lenders, loan servicers, commercial landlords, and other creditors to provide a wide range of legal services both in and outside of court. He has significant experience with matters involving complex creditor/debtor litigation in both state and federal court and complex commercial recoveries. In addition, James has extensive experience with commercial landlord/tenant disputes and unlawful detainer actions.
James began his legal career as a judicial law clerk in Henrico County Circuit Court where he clerked for the Honorable Judges Balfour, Hammond, Harris, Hicks and Miller from 2007 to 2008.
James grew up on a beef farm in Tazewell County, Virginia. He currently lives in Goochland with his wife, Christina, and their three children.
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (B.A., Environmental Science, 2003)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Judicial Clerk for the Honorable Judges Daniel T. Balfour, Catherine C. Hammond, Lee A. Harris, Gary A. Hicks and Burnett Miller, Henrico County Circuit Court
- Lender Liability Litigation - Representation of banks and loan servicers in defending consumer protection cases including the Truth-in-Lending Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act and Virginia Consumer Protection Act.
- Borrower and Guarantor Litigation - Representation of creditors in contested litigation related to collection of loans and enforcement of guaranties.
- Complex Recoveries - Representation of banks and other creditors, pre and post judgment, in complex commercial recoveries through the use of: pretrial attachments, debtor interrogatories, garnishments, creditor’s suits, charging orders, detinue and writs of fieri facias.
- Commercial Landlord Representation - Representation of commercial landlords in connection with enforcement of leases, including evictions, enforcement of landlord’s liens and workouts with tenants.
- Workouts - Representation of banks and other creditors in workouts, forbearances and restructures of obligations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia Creditors Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Henrico County Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
Honors and Awards
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Creditor Debtor Rights
- 2008-2009 Student’s Guide to Article 9 and Related Statutes (Thomson West)
© 2018 by Spotts Fain PC. All rights reserved