Connell Mullins represents a wide range of clients in business disputes. He has acquired substantial bench and jury trial experience in federal and state courts, as both lead and local counsel, for plaintiffs and defendants in a broad array of contested matters, including financial services litigation, products liability and personal injury cases, regulatory proceedings before Virginia's State Corporation Commission (SCC), contract and business tort cases, employment litigation, intellectual property litigation, and a variety of other business disputes.
Prior to joining the firm, Connell served as a law clerk to U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson and to M. Langhorne Keith of the Fairfax County Circuit Court. This unique experience of having clerked in both the Eastern District of Virginia (aka the “Rocket Docket”) and in one of the busiest trial courts in the Commonwealth of Virginia enables him to evaluate the needs and concerns of his clients with efficiency, to advise his clients on pre-litigation strategy considerations, and to provide practical and effective representation from the beginning of a case all the way through discovery, development of fact and expert witnesses, motions practice, trial, and post-trial motions practice.
Outside the office, Connell enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife and three sons, and volunteering with the Blue Sky Fund.
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law (J.D., 2001) Member, Moot Court Board, 1999-2001 Law Review: University of Richmond Law Review, Member, 1999 - 2001 Law Review: University of Richmond Law Review, Manuscripts Editor, 2000 - 2001
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (B.A., Foreign Affairs, 1997)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- Hon. Henry E. Hudson, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Law Clerk, 2002 - 2003
- Hon. M. Langhorne Keith, 19th Judicial Circuit of Virginia, Law Clerk, 2001 - 2002
- Lead counsel for national bank in consumer litigation defense matters.
- Lead and local defense counsel for national banks, furnishers, lenders, and other related consumer finance entities in numerous matters brought in the Eastern District of Virginia under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), and Virginia common law theories of recovery.
- Represented community bank clients in receivership actions, guarantor litigation, and in defense of suit brought to enforce equitable lien.
- Lead counsel in breach of contract actions, declaratory judgment actions, commercial lease disputes, and real estate litigation, including real estate tax appeals.
- Served as co-lead trial counsel in defense of corporate client in multi-day jury trial in the Eastern District of Virginia (Norfolk Division) involving claims of wrongful termination by former employee.
- Lead defense counsel for motor vehicle dealers in breach of contract, breach of warranty, “lemon law” and Virginia Consumer Protection Act claims.
- Represented businesses and business owners, including minority shareholders, in various state civil actions (i.e., “business divorces”) involving direct and derivative claims of corporate mismanagement, breaches of fiduciary duty claims, partnership disputes, and other statutory and common law theories of recovery.
Products Liability and Personal Injury
- Defense of various companies in asbestos personal injury and wrongful death litigation brought in state courts throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia, and in selected other jurisdictions, involving motions practice, written discovery, and depositions of fact and expert witnesses throughout the country.
- Lead defense counsel for corporate clients in trucking accident claims, product liability claims, premises liability claims, negligence actions, and nuisance actions.
Administrative and Regulatory
- Representation of associations in electric utility certificate of public convenience and necessity (CPCN) matters.
- Representation of associations in integrated resource planning (IRP) matters.
- Represented international energy company as lead counsel in regulatory proceedings before the Virginia State Corporation Commission.
- Local counsel in numerous patent litigation matters and trademark infringement actions in the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond and Alexandria Divisions).
- Assisted with representation of corporate plaintiff in multi-day jury trial in the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division).
- Assisted with defense of corporate client in multi-day jury trial in the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division), involving trademark and trade dress infringement claims.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar, Member
- Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Civil Litigation Section Council and Co-Chair, CLE Subcommittee
- Council Member, Joint Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Richmond Bar Association, Member
- Permanent Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
Honors and Awards
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Business Litigation
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Business Litigation
- "The Continuing Challenge of E-Discovery: The Way Forward." Moderator, Virginia Bar Association Annual Meeting, Williamsburg, January 2014.
- "You Ain't From Around Here, Are you? A Step-by-Step Guide to Foreign Subpoenas, the Foreign Deposition Act, and Interstate Discovery." Panelist, Virginia Bar Association Summer Meeting, The Homestead, July 2013.
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Blue Sky Fund, President
- St. James's Episcopal Church, Vestry Member
- Ducks Unlimited, Richmond Chapter, Committee Member and Past Chair
© 2018 by Spotts Fain PC. All rights reserved