Betsy Davis is chair of the firm's labor and employment section. She is rated AV® Preeminent, the highest rating issued by Martindale-Hubbell, and has been named in Virginia Business magazine's Legal Elite as well as the Super Lawyers® Rising Stars.
Betsy advises management in all areas of labor and employment law. She also represents employers in state and federal courts in the areas of Title VII, age discrimination, fair labor standards, family and medical leave, wrongful discharge, covenants not to compete, and breaches of employment contracts and handbooks, as well as other state and federal employment issues. She counsels and represents clients in investigation and defense of EEOC, DOL and NLRB charges and VEC claims.
Betsy uses her litigation experience to counsel clients with a goal of eliminating risk and placing the client in the best position should litigation arise. She provides clients with advice on how to comply with the statutory framework of federal and state employment laws, including the FLSA, FMLA, ADA, ADAAA, ADEA, Title VII, COBRA, and the WARN Act. Betsy routinely reviews and develops employee policies, handbooks, offer letters, employment contracts, separation agreements, and other related documents. Betsy is frequently contacted by our clients to assist in handling difficult termination and hiring issues, as well as sensitive matters involving restrictive covenants and trade secrets.
Betsy is the immediate past President of the Lewis F. Powell, Jr. American Inn of Court and is a faculty member for the Virginia State Bar Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Course. She is a past Regional Chairperson of the VSB’s "No Bills Night". She is also a member of the Virginia Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment, the Richmond Bar Association Membership Committee, and a past Chair of the Administration of Justice Committee. Her community activities include serving on the Board of Make-A-Wish, Greater Richmond.
She received her B.A. from the University of Virginia in 1994 and her J.D. cum laude from the University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law in 1997.
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1997) Member, Client Counseling and Negotiations Boards, Member, Moot Court Board
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (B.A., English, 1994)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Hon. Dennis J. Smith, Fairfax County Circuit Court, Law Clerk, 1997 - 1998
- L. Foster Consulting, LLC v. XL Group, Inc., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 93976 (E.D. Va. July 6, 2012)
- L. Foster Consulting, LLC v. XL Group, Inc., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 93979 (E.D. Va. June 1, 2012)
- Keck v. Virginia, 470 Fed. Appx. 127, 2012 U.S. App. LEXIS 6644 (4th Cir. Va. 2012)
- Keck v. Commonwealth, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 74635 (E.D. Va. July 12, 2011)
- Va. Dept. of Corrections v. Estep, 2011 Va. LEXIS 82 (Supreme Court of Virginia 2011)
- Va. Dep't of Corr. v. Estep, 2010 Va. LEXIS 125 (Supreme Court of Virginia 2010)
- Va. Dep't of Corr. v. Estep, 55 Va. App. 386 (Court of Appeals of Virginia 2009)
- Alta. Telcomms. Research Ctr. v. Rambus Inc., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 26313 (E.D. Va 2006)
- Mid-Atlantic Bus. Communs., Inc. v. Va. DMV, 269 Va. 51 (Supreme Court of Virginia 2005)
- Contreras v. Thor Norfolk Hotel, L.L.C., 292 F. Supp. 2d 798 (E.D. Va. 2003)
- Ross v. Pendell, 46 Fed.Appx. 155, 2002 WL 2023207 (4th Cir.(Va.) 2002)
- Taylor v. Frazer, et al., 42 Fed.Appx 651, 2002 WL 1893174 (4th Cir.(Va.) 2002)
- Coleman v. Ward, 208 F.3d 208, 2000 WL 245290 (4th Cir. (Va.) 2000)
- Buckley v. Womack, et al., 203 F.3d 819, 2000 WL 139909 (4th Cir. (Va.) 2000)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar, Young Lawyer's Conference
- Member, Regional Chairperson, No Bills Night, Richmond
- Richmond Bar Association. Past Chair of Administration of Justice Committee, Membership Committee
- Lewis F. Powell, Jr. American Inn of Court, 2009 - Immediate Past
- National Association of Women Business Owners, Member
- Make-A-Wish, Greater Richmond, Board Member
- Virginia State Bar, Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Course, Faculty Member
Honors and Awards
- Virginia Business magazine's Legal Elite
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Labor and Employment, 2007, 2009-2012
© 2018 by Spotts Fain PC. All rights reserved