Matt Yanovitch’s practice focuses on commercial and fiduciary litigation, as well as health care law. His commercial litigation practice consists of representing banks, mortgage companies, commercial real estate developers, and various other businesses in contractual disputes. Matt’s estate and fiduciary litigation practice includes representation of executors, administrators, trustees, heirs, and creditors in disputes involving wills, trusts, and inherited property. Prior to joining the firm, Matt was a judicial clerk for the Honorable William D. Hamblen of the Thirty-First Judicial Circuit in Manassas, Virginia.
His health care practice includes representing skilled nursing and other long term care facilities, physician practice groups, home health agencies, and other health care businesses. He represents health care clients in administrative and regulatory proceedings before government agencies. He advises clients on compliance with state licensure rules, Certificate of Public Need (COPN) regulations, Medicare regulations and conditions of participation, HIPAA, and the Stark and Anti-Kickback laws.
Before beginning his legal career, Matt served five years as a professional firefighter for the City of Charlottesville. His volunteer community service includes eight years as an emergency medical technician with the Charlottesville-Albemarle Rescue Squad, where he served as a member of the board of directors and held various leadership positions including deputy chief of operations. He has also volunteered with the Manchester Volunteer Rescue Squad.
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia (J.D., 2007) Law Review: Catholic University Law Review, Staff Member
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (B.S., Chemistry, 1999)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Hon. William D. Hamblen, 31st Judicial Circuit of Virginia, Judicial Clerk, 2007 - 2008
- Represented mortgage bank in indemnification lawsuits against mortgage originator regarding defaulted mortgage loans. (SunTrust Mortgage, Inc. v. North Shore Bank, No. 3:14CV385, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 20691 (E.D.Va. Feb 20, 2015); SunTrust Mortgage, Inc. v. Mortgage Financial Services, LLC, 2015 Va. Cir. LEXIS 48 (Henrico County Circuit Court, May 6, 2015))
- Represented national commercial real estate developer against adjacent parcel owner in lawsuit involving maintenance costs and property ownership rights
- Represented heirs of a decedent in the recovery of $4 million in a dispute with the executor over interpretation of the will
- Successfully defended administrator of decedent’s estate in circuit court after his qualification was challenged by his siblings
- Represented family member of a decedent against the decedent's estate in the successful recovery of life insurance proceeds wrongfully paid to the estate
- Represented medical supply company in an administrative challenge to a Medicaid overpayment demand before the Department of Medical Assistance Services
- Guided client though HIPAA's breach notification process and federal investigation after theft of protected health information
- Successfully represented physician practice in dispute over and termination of billing services contract
- Defended long-term care facility in dispute with medical services contractor in state court
- Comment: Dissecting the Constitutional Admissibility of Autopsy Reports after Crawford, 57 Cath. U.L. Rev. 269, 2008
Past Employment Positions
- City of Charlottesville, VA, Professional Firefighter, 2000 - 2004
- Hill Neuroscience Laboratory, Laboratory Specialist, 1999
© 2018 by Spotts Fain PC. All rights reserved